Sharing Stuff : Exchange Learnings

This past summer reminded me of my exchange experience three years ago in Turkey. I can say, that exchange actually pretty much has grown me in someway. A lot of things to remember and to learn. I thought that having exchange was merely an excuse for a vacation, but after living it myself, I know there are several things good to cultivate from it. Now, I would like to share to you, how exchange is able to change your life toward a better one. 




1.)    Learn new languages !

This one is definitely happening when you are upon your exchange. Not only you will try to train your english, but also have yourself to learn another kind of language from your friends there. Even thou, eventually you got an english-speaking countries for the experience, I believe you can get to know how to learn another language.  

Well, although it is impossible to learn fully and master it in such a short period, yet we can still know at least some of basics, like how to say hello, say thanks, buy phone cards, or other daily conversation.
 
2.)    Exposure to interesting cultures !

Culture, yes ! It is my favorite part of learnings, frankly I never thought that getting to know other cultures would be so much fun thing to do. I learned that people in Turkey tend to greet people by kissing on cheek, despite that we havent known each other before. I know that some of Indonesia people do this, but here we do it after we have been comfortable toward each other. Moreover, if you had more international friends during your exchange, you possibly could see more different culture exposures, and believe me, it is worth it to help you not being really judgemental about others, at least for me. 
 
3.)    Cultivating your life skills !

Well, I rather say, it does help you a lot in upgrading yourself in terms of life-skills. Simply like how to be adaptable as a person, how to survive when you are alone in a foreign environment, how to understand non-verbal communication better. I can say that this actually has developed me into more independent person, more open, and overall, a lot of better person. 
 
4.)    Trying new things !

Since you are out of your country, I guess this is the best time to explore yourself out. Try a lot of stuffs, good or bad, in my opinion, you should try it, because that’s the part of life giving a lesson. You know a novel called Wild, it’s quite the same concept I guess, because you are alone, and no one knows you at all, new behaviours everyday, new routines, it helps you actually to know yourself a little better, like for example, I just realized I always used a high tone when I was speaking, or simply, I like nature rather than city if it was intended for a journey, and other silly mistakes which barely I knew until I got there. Afterward, dont forget to change, because it’s not too late to change. 
 
5.)    Making network !

Yep, this one is an absolute activity to do, well not only in exchange, but in our daily life. Still, since we are talking about exchange here, you would have an opportunity to connect toward people with different cultures, nationalities, and others. Remarkably, believe me in the future later, it would be so much advantage to us, like having a free place to stay, having a guide in the country, or other possibilities like network to work or else. It could be anything, so make sure you create one and maintain it. 

6.)    Loving your country more !

I dont know if this kind of thing happened to other people or not, for me, going for an exchange does contribute to my nationalism toward my own country. I know that in fact, other countries mostly have been really developed, in the end, those amazement of their advancement slapping myself to have that eagerness to develop my own country as well. Hell no, my country can be better as well. On the contrary, if you found any countries you visited, in fact, were more devastating in terms of its circumstances, then I guess, we can take those as our learnings so that our country wouldnt be turned like that. A lot of learnings right?